Pempek is one of popular dish from Palembang, Indonesia. And the original taste of pempek is so delicious and fresh, especially when you eat with complements like noodle, pickles, and the sauce of pempek. Here is the recipe how to make pempek kulit or skin pempek.
- Mackerel, 1 kg (free from skin and thorn)
- Skin of fish, 250 gram (chopped smoothly)
- Baking soda, ½ teaspoon
- Ice water, 25 ml
- Starch flour, 500 gram
- Flour, 100 gram
- Salt, 2 teaspoons
- Oil, 500 ml
Sauce of pempek
- Tamarind, 50 gram
- Palm sugar, 150 gram (sliced small)
- Water, 650 ml
Blended seasoning for sauce:
- Hot chili pepper, 10
- Garlic, 4
- Dried shrimp, 2 tablespoons (soak in the hot water until soft, strain and then blended)
How to make pempek sauce
- Boil tamarind, palm sugar and water in the medium flame. After soluble, remove and then filtered.
- Boil the sauce back with seasoning and cook it until done.
- It will be more delicious if you keep it in the refrigerator before you use if for your pempek.
How to make skin pempek
- Clean the skin of fish and then put into food processor or blender until soft.
- Blend the mackerel meat in the blender or food processor. Then, mix it with the soft skin of fish, starch flour, flour, and ice water.
- Knead it well until unite. Add baking soda and keep stirring until the dough of pempek soft.
- Take little bit of dough then form it round flat. You can form the pempek into round flat or triangle. Do this to all the dough of pempek.
- Steam the dough of pempek until done for about 25 minutes. Remove then set aside.
- Fry the steamed of pempek into frying pan until the color changing to brown.
- Skin pempek is ready to be eaten.
- You can eat pempek kulit or skin pempek with sauce pempek, slice of cucumber, and noodle.