Terasi is common ingredient that usually added into a dish for Indonesian cuisine when you cook in the kitchen. Terasi is made from small shrimp and need many processes to make it, such as grinding or pounding, and drying. When you make terasi, you need to add salt which has function as preservation.
Terasi has strong smell and usually used to make spicy dish but also used to make other traditional Indonesian cuisine. The usage of terasi also can be applied when you cook vegetables. The taste of vegetables will be more delicious, thick, and soft.
Actually, it is very easy to make terasi. And you can make it at home. Here is the recipe how to make terasi.
- Small shrimp, 500 gram
- Salt, 100 gram
- Red coloring, as you desired *optional
Directions to make terasi
- Use the whole small shrimp, included head, skin, and tail.
- Afterwards, wash the small shrimp until clean. Set aside.
- Mix the clean shrimp and salt. Then, blend it by blender or pounded until soft. Remove it.
- If you like, you can add red coloring, then, stir it well.
- Pour the dough of shrimp into gauze. After that, squeeze the dough of shrimp until the water come out.
- You can mold the dough of shrimp as you desired, round or square.
- Dry under the sun until dry.
- If you want the dough dry faster, you can roast terasi into an oven.
- After the terasi dry, it will be ready to be used.